Home Page Bulletin Closed Chapels

WHS in Wales - Methodist Chapels Closed by the
CARDIFF (Roath / Roath Road)  CIRCUIT
Index of Chapels Closed in Cardiff

Bridgend Street Mission
Diamond Streret
Llanrumney
Rhwibina
Roath Road
Rumney
Bridgend Street Mission BRIDGEND STREET MISSION
Photo shows the site of the Bridgend Street Mission in Lower Splott, Cardiff . Behind is the East Moors steel works, built by Guest Keen & Nettlefords as the Dowlais Cardiff Works.

Bridgened Street  closed on June 21st 1970 with a service of Holy Communion led by Rev Stephen Watts. The church recorded 43 members in that last Quarter.

The Mission originally opened in a house in Portmanmoor Road in 1880, a year before the Splott Road Wesleyan society was formed. Out of the Bridgend Street Mission came a Youth Centre (known as "The Mish" ) which operated in Pontypridd Street for over 20 years. Thousands of young people contributed to its activities which included, football, netball, cricket,  and  baseball as well as Pantomimes, outings and community service.
Photo : Graham Tennant  - May 1973 GOTO TOP
Diamond Street DIAMOND STREET METHODIST CHURCH
Adamsdown, Cardiff

In April 1905 Diamond Street Chapel hosted the 80th annual Conference of the Bible Christian Connexion; Rev William Blake Lake was President (for the 2nd time) and Rev John Luke was re-elected Secretary.

The last services were held on May 16th 1965, conducted by the Rev Stephen C Watts. There were 81 members.
Photo : Graham Tennant  - May 1973 GOTO TOP
GOTO TOP
llanrumney LLANRUMNEY METHODIST CHURCH
Countisbury Avenue, Cardiff

The Stone laying took place on January 10th 1959 and the church was opened om June 13th 1959. There was already contact with 140 children in a sunday school established in Penbryn School. When the church opened children and aduct numbers continued to increase; but the church was under-resourced in both space and workers. Vandalism and the relocation of many members elsewhere eventually led to the church's closure after 25 years.
Photo : Graham Tennant  - May 1973 GOTO TOP
Rhwibina Methodist Church RHIWBINA METHODIST CHURCH
Maes y Deri, Cardiff

Closed with a Communion Service on December 1st 2002 led by the minister,  Rev Phil Drake.  There were 10 members, half of whom transfered their membership to Llanishen..

The building is now used by Methodists worshipping in the Welsh languague.
Photo : Graham Tennant (May 1973)
GOTO TOP
Roath Road Church
ROATH ROAD WESLEYAN CHURCH



City Road Trams

Roath Road Wesleyan Methodust Church in 1903. Extrensively damaged by bombing in March 1941 and demolished 1955.

Photo 129 "Cardiff Yesterday"  Stuart Williams, No.15 (1986)
Trams in City Road (September 1937) with Roath Road (ex-Wesleyan) Methodist Church on the left.
 [Roath Road was renamed Newport Road  about 1874 although the church continued to be known as Roath Road]
Photo 186 "Cardiff Yesterday No.2" Stuart Williams ,(1983)
GOTO TOP
Rumney_Cardiff
RUMNEY METHODIST CHURCH
Wentlooog Road, Cardiff
Rumney_2011
The New Building of 1956 was removed in 2010-11 to expose the 1929 chapel which had been in use as a hall (just visible to the left of the 1956The New Building of 1956 was removed in 2010-11 to expose the 1929 chapel which had been in use as a hall (just visible to the left of the 1956 Church). Now the 1929 building has been redeveloped and was reopened on September 3rd  2011
Photo : Graham Tennant May 1973
GOTO TOP