Home Page Bulletin Closed Chapels

WHS in Wales -WHS Methodist Chapels Closed in Ceredigion

(there are details of many of these chapels in the "WHS in Wales Bulletin" Number 2 /  2012
INDEX
Salem Chapel (Aberystwyth)
Lewis Terrace School & Chapel (Aberystwyth)
Siloam Chapel (Aberystwyth)
St Paul's Church (Aberystwyth)
Queen's Road Church (Aberystwyth)
Penparcau Chapel
First Capel Dewi
Second Capel Dewi
Lisburne Mines Chapel
Capel Tre'r-ddol
Salem
SALEM
SALEM CHAPEL
from Gray's Inn  Road
Aberystwyth
(Built 1807)

The first Methodist chapel  built in Aberystwyth and used by the English language congregation from1807 - 1844 and the Welsh language Congregation from 1807 - 1879.
PHOTO : Graham Tennant - October 2012
Lewis
LEWIS TERRACE WESLYAN SCHOOL & CHAPEL< ABERYSTWYTH (1844-1870)
Lewis Terrace
Lewis Terrace Today
Children play outside the Wesleyan School in Lewis Terrace, Aberystwyth. English Wesleyan Chapel 1844 to 1870 The former English Wesleyan school and chapel in Lewis Terrac(1844-1870)  is now a home for the Salvation Army.
Note the architechural changes to the facade
PHOTO : PHOTO : Graham Tennant - October 2012
Siloam GOTO TOP
SILOAM SILOAM  WELSH WESLEYAN CHAPEL
in Cambrian Street Aberystwyth
(1869-1954)
The Siloam congregation separated from  the growing Salem  Welsh Wesleyans in 1869 and maintained an independent presence on the Aberystwyth Welsh Plan until 1954. Since then it has served as garage, warehouse and shop and little remains of its original interior.
PHOTO : Graham Tennant - October 2012
StPaul's GOTO TOP
St Pauls Welsh Chapel St PAUL'S WELSH WESLEYAN CHURCH
in Great Darkgate Street
(1879-1992)
When the remaining Salem Welsh speaking congregation  out grew their premises they built  this impressive classical front to their new chapel

Numbers fell during the second half of tyhe twentieth century and they wer unablde to keep up the maintainance of their building.

It is a Grade II listed building and many original features internally have been retained in its current use as the Academy Wine Bar.
PHOTO : Graham Tennant - October 2012
Queen'sRd GOTO TOP
Queens Rd QUEEN'S ROAD METHODIST CHURCH
Aberystwyth (1870-1889)

An imposing Gothic church with a central location in an expanding part of tghe town centre. As a "Watering Place" Aberystwyth was invited to make special provision for its summer visitors.

Built on marshy ground liable to flooding the fabric of the  church deteriorated so that after 120 years use the premises where no longer fit for purpose and demolished after closure in June 1989. In combination with St Paul's Welsh congegation a new bilingual Methodist Centre was erected on the site  and opened in September 1992,
Penparcau GOTO TOP
Penparcau PENPARCAU METHODIST CHURCH

The chapel was built in 1954  for a congregation established in 1932. By 2011 membership was nine. The chapel is now in Quaker ownership.
1stDEWI GOTO TOP
Capel Enog CAPEL ENOG
(Built in 1833)

The first Capel Dewi Chapel (Abereiron
SecondDEWI GOTO TOP
Capel Newydd CAPEL NEWYDD
the second Capel Dewi
MINES GOTO TOP
Lizburne Mine Chapel LISBURNE MINES CHAPEL
(built in 1852)
Capel Trerddol GOTO TOP
Capel Trer CAPEL TRE'R-DDOL
(Built 1854)
Capel tre'r-ddol was the scene of the begiining of the 1859 Welsh Revival.

Birthplace (in 1832) of Humphrey Rowland Jones ("The Revivalist"). After a period of revival preaching in America he returned home and led a 5 week mission at Tre'r-ddol where more tha 50 were converted locally.

The revival ministry spread to surounding towns and villages and many more were converted.
GOTO TOP